Amendment C164 - Rezoning industrial land in the Brunswick Activity Centre
About Amendment C164
Moreland is committed to creating a strong and prosperous economy and creating sustainable neighbourhoods where residents can access services and businesses, and have the opportunity to find jobs locally.
The types of jobs needed in Moreland are changing. Traditional industrial jobs like manufacturing are being replaced by smaller office-based jobs.
Council is proposing to rezone industrial land within the Brunswick Activity Centre identified in the Moreland Industrial Land Strategy (MILS) 2015-30 (PDF 6Mb) as Category 2 (Employment) and Category 3 (Transition - residential) areas to allow for new employment opportunities and residential development. It is also proposing to:
Apply Schedules 18, 19 and 20 of the Design and Development Overlay (DDO) to ensure a consistent approach to built form design within the activity centre
Make modifications to DDO18, DDO19 and DDO20 to include specific built form guidance for MILS Category 2 Areas.
Apply the Environmental Audit Overlay (EAO) to sites identified as potentially contaminated land.
Apply the Parking Overlay (PO1) to land rezoned to Commercial 1 Zone and Mixed use Zone, to sustainability manage car parking in the activity centre.
Council considered the Panel’s report on Amendment C164 on 14 November 2018 and a further report on the Amendment on 8 May 2019. In each occasion the Amendment was split into two parts:
Amendment C164 Part 1 was adopted by Council at its meeting on 14 November 2018. This Part of the amendment rezones a number of MILS Category 3 properties as well as applying the Design and Development Overlay, Environmental Audit Overlay and Parking Overlay over properties in both MILS Category 2 and MILS Category 3.
This Part has now been submitted to the Minister for Planning for approval. View a table (PDF 255Kb)detailing the properties affected and a copy of the officers’ report (PDF 59Mb) to the 14 November 2018 meeting and the resolution of Council.
Amendment C164 Part 2 was adopted by Council at its meeting on 8 May 2019. This part of the amendment relates to the zoning of properties at 215, 217, 219 Albion Street, Brunswick and 219, 221 Nicholson Street, Brunswick East.
This Part has now been submitted to the Minister for Planning for approval. View a copy of the officers’ report (PDF 167Mb) to the 8 May 2019 meeting and the resolution of Council.
- Amendment C164 Part 3, which was the rezoning of the remaining MILS Category 2 properties,
was abandoned by Council at its meeting on 8 May 2019. Rezoning of these properties will be pursued by Amendments C192 and C193 in the coming months. View a copy of the officers’ report (PDF 66Mb) to the 9 October 2019 Council meeting for more information.
History of the amendment
At the 9 August 2017 Council Meeting, Council resolved to seek authorisation to prepare Amendment C164 to the Moreland Planning Scheme. Council received authorisation from the Minister for Planning to prepare and exhibit the amendment on 16 October 2017.
Consultation and submissions
The Amendment was exhibited for between 16 November 2017 and 22 January 2018, and 139 submissions were received. Copies of these submissions can be viewed below:
- Submissions 1-10 (PDF 276Kb)
- Submissions 11-20 (PDF 201Kb)
- Submissions 21-30 (PDF 173Kb)
- Submissions 31-40 (PDF 200Kb)
- Submissions 41-50 (PDF 194Kb)
- Submissions 51-60 (PDF 270Kb)
- Submissions 61-70 (PDF 207Kb)
- Submissions 71-80 (PDF 478Kb)
- Submissions 81-90 (PDF 397Kb)
- Submissions 91-100 (PDF 946Kb)
- Submissions 101-110 (PDF 729Kb)
- Submissions 111-120 (PDF 1Mb)
- Submissions 121-130 (PDF 934Kb)
- Submissions 131-139 (PDF 549Kb)
Council considered a report on the Amendment at the 11 April 2018 Council meeting and resolved to seek the appointment of a panel to consider the submissions.
View the agenda for the 11 April 2018 Council meeting which includes the report on submissions.
Panel and directions Hearings
A directions hearing was held in May 2018 and a panel hearing was held in early June 2018, with the Panel's report received by Council in August 2018. View a copy of the Panel Report (PDF 6Mb).
The following documents were made available as part of the panel hearing process:
- The Brunswick Structure Plan Reference Document (April 2018) (PDF 5Mb)
- Assessment for Potential Contamination Report - SKM (2011) (PDF 3Mb)
- Moreland Integrated Transport Strategy 2010-19 (MITS)
- Brunswick Integrated Transport Strategy (BITS)
- Submitter List including relevant MILS Area (PDF 254Kb)
- Council Part A Submission (PDF 1Mb)
- Council Part B Submission (PDF 3Mb)
- Council Urban Design Presentation (PDF 3Mb)
- Council Part B Environmental Audit Overlay Submission (PDF 558Kb)
- Council Part C Right of Reply Submission (PDF 636Kb)
Expert witness statements
- Ian Klukow of Golder Pty Ltd (Potential contamination - on behalf of Council) (PDF 648Kb)
- Rory McPhillips of Atma Environmental (Potential contamination - on behalf of submitters) (PDF 3Mb)