Asset protection permits

What is asset protection?

Our Asset Protection team is responsible for ensuring that Council’s civil assets are not damaged during the construction process.

If you’re planning on completing building works at your property, it’s important that the Council assets are not damaged such as roads, footpaths, drainage, kerb, etc.

The responsibility for protecting Council assets rests with the owner of the property, who is liable for the cost of replacing or repairing any assets that are damaged by the owner, their builder or contractor.

When do I need a permit?

You will need an asset protection permit if your works require a building permit, or are valued at over $5000. For minor works such as fencing, landscaping or paving you’ll need a permit for works over $2000.

How do I apply?

You can now apply for an asset protection permit online.

Once your application has been received, the application will then be processed and a permit is issued.

Building works can begin once you have a building permit and an Asset Protection permit.

Apply for an asset protection permit online

How long will my application take to process?

Your application will take up to 5 business days to be processed.

Will there be inspections?

We will conduct routine inspections throughout the period of construction works.

When you have completed your works, contact us to arrange a final inspection of Council assets at your property.

If damage has occurred to Council assets and it is deemed the damage is associated with your building activity, the extent of damage is detailed and you're notified in writing.

It is important to note that if a dilapidation report or photographic evidence of the condition of the existing assets (prior to construction) is not provided Council will assume that all assets are in good condition.

How long is it valid for?

An Asset Protection permit is valid for one year from date of issue. If your building works take longer than the one year period you will be required to renew the permit.

What happens if I don't organise a permit?

Without a valid permit, a building site is in breach of the local law and an infringement notice will be issued to the owner for failing to comply with Moreland City Council General Local Law 2018 (DOC 622Kb).

In this case, Council will assume that all public assets were in a satisfactory condition before building works started and that any damage was caused by building works associated with the property.

How much does it cost?

An Asset Protection permit application incurs a fee. These fees are reviewed yearly.

Apply for an asset protection permit online

Fees for 2019-20

Code Type of building works being undertaken Permit fee


Reblocking or underpinning



Building works valued between $5000 and $20,000



Demolition (does not include any building works)



Building works over $20,000 other than those types listed below



Single dwelling construction



Unit development – up to 4 units



Unit development – more than 4 units and up to 8 units



Unit development - more than 8 units



Multi-storey development more than 2 storeys and up to 5 storeys



Multi-storey development more than 5 storeys



Asset protection fines

Council can issue an asset protection fine:

  • for a breach of an asset protection permit requirement or
  • where an asset protection permit was required but not obtained.

If you are issued with an asset protection fine, you may pay the asset protection fine or request a review of the asset protection fine.

Apply for an asset protection permit online