Skip to content

Pet desexing

Desexing requirements

When you register your cat for the first time, it must be desexed.

While it is not compulsory to desex your dog, if you do desex your dog you receive a substantial reduction in the registration and renewal fees when you register your pet.

Why should I have my pet desexed?

Desexing your dog or cat prevents unwanted young being born.

Desexing your cat helps reduce the number of stray cats, which protects our native wildlife and habitats. Did you know: one un-desexed female cat and her offspring can produce up to 5,000 cats in seven years?

Desexing your pet can help reduce unwanted behaviours like aggression, roaming or scent marking. A desexed animal also has a lower risk of contracting certain diseases and cancers.

More information on the reasons to desex your pet and responsible pet ownership can be found on the RSPCA website.

Where to have your dog or cat desexed

You can have your dog or cat desexed at:

You can find out more information about desexing your dog or cat, including when a puppy or kitten can be desexed, from the RSPCA and DELWP (the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning).

How to get a desexing voucher for your cat or dog

You can get a voucher that will cover part of the cost of desexing your cat or dog if you have any of the following concession cards :

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Low income Health Care Card, or
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

Your pet must be registered with us before you can access a discount voucher. However if you need a voucher before you register your pet, please visit one of our Customer Service Centres with your microchip details and we can assist you with registration and the voucher.

For more information about the program please read the Cat and dog reduced-fee desexing voucher scheme brochure (1MB).

Desex your cat for free

In late 2021 we will run our free cat desexing program for concession card holders again.

The program has been delayed due to current restrictions and will commence once restrictions allow.

A form to apply will be available on our website once restrictions ease.