Library closure FAQ
Temporary library closure
Following the latest public health directions from the Victorian Government, Moreland Libraries will be temporarily closed to the public from 5pm Wednesday, 8 July 2020 until further notice as a proactive measure to protect community and staff health and safety in relation to COVID-19.
I borrowed items from the library and now you’re closed – what do I do? Will I get fines?
- Anything borrowed on 8 July will not be due back until after 31 August (normal loan periods apply from 31 August).
- Anything you borrowed before 8 July will have the due date extended until 31 August, except for items on hold for another borrower, In Demand DVDs and Top 20s. But don’t worry!
- Anything that can’t be automatically renewed or have the due date extended will not incur overdue charges.
- Any items that are already overdue will not accrue additional charges during the closure.
I have library items at home that I have finished with, can I still return them?
- No, our returns chutes are closed. Please keep your items until we reopen, you will not get any overdue charges.
I’m not a library member, I would like to join so I can use all those great eResources!
- Great! You can join online or ring one of the libraries between 9am-5pm Monday-Friday to register. We will post your card to you so you can take full advantage of our online resources.
I rely on the library for internet access, what can I do?
- The public wifi will remain on and accessible within a short distance outside the library buildings.
Can I get library items delivered to me?
- We offer two types of delivery services for Moreland residents:
- The Home Library Service, for those who are unable to visit one of our libraries on an ongoing basis due to ill health, frailty or a disability. Contact us to make further enquiries about this service.
- The ‘Books to Your Door’ home delivery service with options to have your reserved items or a selection of 10 items delivered to you. Find out more and register for the service.
- Please note that due to the overwhelming demand for both of these services, there is a waiting period for deliveries. We have loaned over 3000 items via Books to Your Door in just two weeks and brought on five additional staff to assist with deliveries and keep up with demand.
Can I borrow items from other libraries? What if I already arranged an inter-library loan?
- We are not placing new requests for interlibrary loans or lending materials to other libraries during the closure.
- Items we have received for borrowers are being held until we reopen. We can negotiate extensions on loans if required.