Skip to content

About the City of Moreland

City of Moreland profile

The City of Moreland lies between 4 and 14 kilometres north of central Melbourne.

It is bordered by the Moonee Ponds Creek to the west, Merri Creek to the east, Park Street to the south and the Western Ring Road to the north.

The City of Moreland covers the suburbs of Brunswick, Brunswick East, Brunswick West, Coburg, Coburg North, Fawkner, Glenroy, Gowanbrae, Hadfield, Oak Park, Pascoe Vale, and Pascoe Vale South. Small sections of the suburbs of Fitzroy North and Tullamarine are also part of the City of Moreland.

Visit Locality names and boundaries for Moreland map and suburbs.

The City of Moreland covers 50.9 square kilometres and is one of Melbourne’s most populous municipalities, with an estimated resident population  in 2019 of 185,767 people.

Moreland Community Profile

Moreland Community Profile website has detailed statistical and demographic information about Moreland and its suburbs based on results from the latest Census and previous Censuses of Population and Housing. The site is updated with population estimates when the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) releases new figures.

Maps of Moreland

Community Atlas for Moreland lets users produce maps of the 2016 Australian Bureau of Statistics Census of Population and Housing data for Moreland.

Moreland Population and Household Forecasts

Population and household forecasts for Moreland may be accessed via the link given below. 

Moreland population and forecasts (PDF327KB)

Formation of Moreland City

Moreland City was formed on 22 June 1994, by the amalgamation of Brunswick City and Coburg City. On 15 December 1994 it was expanded by the addition of the southern parts of Broadmeadows City - Glenroy, Oak Park, Fawkner and Hadfield.

Moreland is a locality situated either side of the boundary between the former municipalities of Brunswick and Coburg, around the Moreland train station, and was selected as the name of the new amalgamated City.

Moreland locality was named after the land purchased in 1839, from Robert Hoddle’s survey, by Farquhar McCrae, magistrate and speculator. McCrae (the brother-in-law of Georgiana McCrae), named his property Moreland after the place of birth of his father in Jamaica. McCrae built his La Rose home on the elevated area west of Moreland (Coonans Hill), in 1842, at 22 Le Cateau Street. It is on the Australian and Victorian heritage registers. See Victorian Places for further details.

Thematic history of Moreland

The City of Moreland Thematic History addresses the history of the physical development of the municipality since post contact occupation.

It explains how and why the municipality looks like it does today. It identifies and explains those aspects and themes that help us understand the area and its historic physical fabric.

The Thematic History is centred around themes, such as agriculture, industry, governance, and migration, that have shaped the municipality and provides a framework for identifying and assessing potential heritage places.

It does not provide a chronological account of everything that happened in the municipality. It is not a record of all the individuals, events, schools, sporting clubs, institutions that may have left their mark on the municipality or study area.

The Thematic History is essential in being able to identify potential heritage places and ultimately assess and determine their heritage significance. It highlights the importance of protecting Moreland’s heritage places as it identifies a number of significant heritage places that have been lost over the years due to these places not being protected under the provisions of a Heritage Overlay in the Moreland Planning Scheme.

You can download a copy:

Copies are available to view in our Libraries and have been provided to the State Library of VictoriaMuseum Victoria as well as the Brunswick, Coburg and Broadmeadows Historical Societies.

Unfortunately we do not have hard copies available for purchase.