Recycling collection

Important note:

Moreland's recycling service is continuing as usual. Moreland kerbside recycling is processed by Visy, not SKM, who have announced their closure. 

Council collects recycling bins every week from residential properties in Moreland. Your recycling bin has a yellow lid.

Council’s kerbside recycling service collects items which are then sorted into the different types of material.

An annual waste charge is included in your rates notice. This charge helps fund the Council kerbside collection services. Council also collects recycling bins from non-residential rateable properties subject to payment of the waste charge.

When recycling bins are collected

Council collects your recycling bin each week on the same day as your garbage bin. The day of collection depends on where you live.

Please place your bin out by 5.30 am of collection day, preferably the night before. Garbage and recycling bins are usually collected in the morning.

Enter your address to see your recycling bin collection day and to view a bin collection calendar for your address.

Enter your address

You can also download a copy of the Waste Calendar 2019 (PDF 2Mb) or contact Council to request a printed version.

What you can put in your recycling bin

Put these items in your recycling bin:

  • cardboard and office paper
  • newspapers and magazines
  • phone books
  • books (with covers removed)
  • pizza boxes (with no food waste)
  • milk and juice cartons
  • aluminium pots, pans, foil, trays and cans (remove any food, scrunch foil into a ball)
  • metal pots, pans and cutlery
  • steel cans (empty)
  • aerosol cans (empty with plastic nozzle removed)
  • glass bottles and jars (clear, green and amber)
  • rigid plastic packaging including bottles and containers

Do not put these items in your recycling bin:

  • flexible soft plastics, e.g. plastic bags, bread or pasta bags, plastic wrap
  • any items in plastic bags
  • clothing, shoes or blankets
  • nappies
  • food waste or garden waste
  • toys
  • drinking glasses, ceramics or Pyrex
  • napkins, tissues or paper towel
  • takeaway coffee cups
  • garbage

Do not overfill your bin as this can create litter. The lid must be fully closed when placed out for collection.

Bins weighing more than 30 kilograms will not be collected.

Tips to recycling right

  • Do not put your recyclables in plastic bags, place them loosely in your bin
  • Keep lids and labels on plastic bottles
  • No need to clean jars, tins or containers, just empty any liquids or food scraps
  • Donate any unwanted good-condition clothing, shoes, linen or blankets to charity

Victorians are great recyclers but we can improve. Research shows that many household rubbish bins contain up to 20 per cent of items that could have been recycled. Visit Sustainability Victoria to find out how to recycle right in every room of the house.

Council conducts random inspections of recycling bins to ensure residents are recycling the right items.

Contact Council to request an updated Recycling Bin Lid Sticker (PDF 731Kb).

New Australasian Recycling Label

Look for the new Australasian Recycling Label on packaging for product specific advice on whether a packaging item can go in your kerbside recycling bin. The Planet Ark website also has suggested text for consumers wanting to contact brand owners if they are not already using the label on their products.

Change to the recycling of soft plastics

In October 2017 Council's recycling provider changed to Visy. Their role is to separate and sort recyclables for the production of new items. Products are only valuable if there is a demand and, as markets for soft plastics are limited, Visy currently do not accept soft plastics through the kerbside collection for recycling.

Due to these changes, soft plastics cannot be placed in the kerbside recycling bin.

You can take your plastic bags and soft plastics to a Redcycle collection bin at your local Coles or Woolworths supermarket. A full list of the items accepted can be found on the Redcycle website.

What happens to your recycling 

After your recycling is picked up at the kerb it is taken to Visy's Material Recovery Facility (MRF) for sorting into six material streams: paper, cardboard, plastic, steel, aluminium and glass.

These materials are then transported to different areas of the Visy business for recovery and/or remanufacture. The paper, cardboard, plastic, steel and aluminium from the Visy MRF are turned into new recycled packaging by Visy.

To learn more about the benefits of recycling visit the Visy website. Go to the Visy education page to watch an animated video about the recycling process.

Where to place your bin

Put your garbage, recycling and green waste bins on the kerb on the edge of the street.

Face the bins to the street. Make sure there are no objects within 30 centimetres of the bin such as a car, tree or another bin.

If you live on a court or bowl place your bins along the straight edge, not on the corner.

Round court


How to change the size of your recycling bin

Changing the size of your bin has information on how to request a change in your recycling bin size.

Damaged, lost or stolen bins

New bins and bin replacements has information on how to have your recycling bin repaired or replaced.

New bins for new properties

If you are a new resident at a new property that does not have a garbage and recycling bin, you can contact Council to a order new bins.

Other places to recycle

Many materials that can't be recycled via your kerbside recycling bin can be recycled elsewhere. If the materials you are wanting to recycle aren't listed in these pages try Recycling Near You, an online guide to recycling. You can search either by product or by Council area.

Visit the Council A - Z guide to waste and recycling for information on how to recycle or dispose of items that cannot be placed in your recycling bin.

Some recycling centres and landfills will accept items to be recycled free of charge, however, charges will apply for some items.

Where to find more information

The Residential Kerbside Waste Services booklet (PDF 1Mb) (PDF 1Mb)provides everything you need to know about your kerbside waste services as well as information on composting, bin placement, hard waste collection and your local transfer stations. You can download a copy or contact Council to request a printed version.

The Waste Services in the City of Moreland brochure (PDF 2Mb) provides information on what to do with items that cannot be placed in your kerbside bins. You can download a copy or contact Council to request a printed version.