Skip to content

Moreland Planning Scheme

Each Council area in Victoria has its own planning scheme.

A planning scheme sets out policies and provisions for the use, development and protection of land in that area. It is a legal document prepared by the local Council or the Minister for Planning, and approved by the Minister.

All land in Moreland is affected by the Moreland Planning Scheme. Visit the state government's Moreland Planning Scheme online for:

  • maps of Moreland with zones and overlays
  • information on the Planning Policy Framework (PPF) which sets out the objectives of planning in Victoria at a state, regional and local level. The PPF includes the Municipal Strategic Statement (MSS) and local polices.

Planning Scheme Amendments stages

As Moreland changes, our strategy and planning controls may also change. These changes must be reflected in the Moreland Planning Scheme.

The Moreland Planning Scheme sets out policies and provisions for the use, development and protection of land in Moreland. All land in Moreland is affected by the Moreland Planning Scheme.

What is a Planning Scheme Amendment?

A change to the planning scheme is known as an amendment. The process for an amendment is set out in the Planning and Environment Act 1987. Common amendments include a change of zone to allow different use of land or the implementation of new policy.

  • A planning scheme amendment can be initiated by any planning authority as specified by the Planning and Environment Act 1987. A planning authority is any Minister or agency that has been authorised by the Minister for Planning to prepare amendments. In most cases, the initiating planning authority would be a local Council, but it may be another Minister.

    Anyone can ask a planning authority to prepare an amendment. If you do, you must be able to demonstrate to the planning authority (usually the Council) adequate justification as to why an amendment should be prepared. Council has to be certain that the amendment has planning merit and is consistent with the future strategic directions for the municipality.

    There is no application form to request a planning scheme amendment. If you want to request an amendment you are encouraged to talk to contact us for more information about the process.

    Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning also has more information about planning scheme amendments.

    There are fees for requesting a planning scheme amendment. The Planning and Environment (Fees) Regulations 2016 specifies these fees. See Planning scheme amendment fees for details.

  • A council must apply to the Minister for authorisation to prepare an amendment.

    The purpose of authorisation is to identify whether a proposed amendment is consistent with state policy or interests and to ensure it makes appropriate use of the Victorian Planning Provisions

  • The public consultation part of an Amendment is called Exhibition. The Planning and Environment Act outlines when and how notice of an Amendment needs to occur and how notice needs to be given.

    Anyone can lodge a submission about an amendment. A submission may support the amendment, oppose the amendment, or suggest changes to the amendment. The Victorian Government has information on preparing a submission to a planning scheme amendment.

    Your submission should be lodged before the closing date of the exhibition of the amendment so you have the opportunity to present your views to a panel (if one is appointed to consider submissions).

  • An independent panel may be appointed by the Minister for Planning to consider the submissions and the amendment. The Panel:

    • reviews the submissions
    • conducts a public hearing
    • considers the amendment, and
    • prepares an independent report with recommendations about the amendment for Council.

    After the panel hearing, the Panel has 6 - 8 weeks to provide a report to Council with its recommendations on the amendment. Council has no obligation to adopt the panel's recommendations.

  • Once an amendment has gone through all the legal requirements of exhibition and has been adopted by Council, it is submitted to the Minister for Planning for final approval. 

    Once the Minister approves the amendment, it then becomes part of the Moreland Planning Scheme.

    The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website has a list of approved Moreland Planning Scheme Amendments since July 2000

Planning scheme amendment fees

There are fees for requesting and preparing a planning scheme amendment. The Planning and Environment (Fees) Regulations 2016 specifies these fees and uses fee units as a unit of measure. The value of the fee unit is adjusted each year by the State Government and published in the Government Gazette.

For fees related to planning permit applications, see planning fees.

Amendment administration and Panel fees

All costs associated with the administration of the planning scheme amendment including: advertising in the newspapers, Government Gazette and public notification of an amendment will be passed on to the proponent. 

If an independent panel is required to hear submissions as a result of unresolved objections (submissions) to the amendment, the planning authority will pass onto the proponent the costs and expenses incurred for or by a panel in carrying out its functions in line with section 156 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

The cost of the Panel will depend on the number of days it sits and the number of Panel Members appointed.

Notes on fees

GST does not apply to statutory fees but applies to all other fees

Moreland Planning Scheme documents

Below are the most commonly used documents that:

  • are referenced in the Moreland Planning Scheme, or
  • relate to building and planning in some way.

As some of these documents date back a while, we can only provide the PDF version in some instances.

If you have trouble viewing any of these documents, contact us to arrange an appointment to view these documents at the Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg.

All past amendments can be viewed on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DEWLP) website