Skip to content

Food businesses

Food businesses are businesses that:

  • handle food and drinks
  • manufacture food and drinks
  • package and repackage food and drinks
  • store food and drinks
  • serve food and drinks
  • distribute and import food and drinks.

We manage the registration of these businesses to ensure that food businesses in our community are meeting food and safety rules, laws, and standards.

Whether you are starting a new food business, or buying/transferring an existing one, it's important that you understand the food safety rules and regulations. Before a food business is registered, our Environmental Health Officers inspect the business to make sure all requirements and standards of the Food Act 1984 are met. The Food Act protects people from potential health risks that can be caused by food.

Please note that throughout this webpage, we will use the word proprietor. In this case, a proprietor is someone who runs the food business and is responsible for its operation.

Transferring a food business registration

When you purchase an existing food business, you must apply to transfer the registration from the current proprietor to you. The current proprietor must agree to you making the transfer application.

For class 1 and class 2 premises, you need to provide a new food safety program and select a food safety supervisor as part of the transfer. More information about food business classes.

Our Environmental Health Officers will check the food business and let you know whether or not the registration transfer has been successful. There may be conditions that you have to meet before the registration can be transferred.

Once we approve the transfer of registration, the new proprietor is legally responsible for making sure the business meets the rules set out in the Food Act.

You can contact us for more information about transferring a food business registration.

Apply for a pre-purchase inspection of a food business

  • Before you buy an existing food business, we strongly suggest that you get a Pre-purchase Inspection Report from us.

    We offer a pre-purchase inspection service for a fee. This service includes an inspection of the food business by our Environmental Health Officers, and a report that informs you of any instances where the food business does not meet the Food Standards Code. After we issue this report, it is the responsibility of the purchaser and the vendor of the food business to negotiate to resolve any issues.

    Once you've applied, you will receive the Pre-Purchase Inspection Report within 10 business days.

    The current proprietor of the food business must agree to you making an application for a pre-purchase inspection.

  • Submit a request online

    If you need help to submit your application online please contact us for assistance.

Start and register a food business

If you are thinking about starting a new food business in Moreland, the information below will help you understand what you need to do first.

Anyone who sells food in Victoria must register with their local council under the Food Act 1984. Our Environmental Health Officers will inspect food businesses to make sure they are meeting the Food Act and Food Standards Code. The purpose ofthe Act and Code is to protect people from getting sick from food sold and served in Moreland.

Business Approvals Moreland is a service for new businesses which involves a meeting with Moreland staff to discuss your business. 

It’s important to understand what permits your business might need. Complete this survey from the Australian Business Licence and Information Services to work out which permits you may need. We also have information on:

Register a new food business

Registration runs from 1 January to 31 December each year. There is an annual registration fee to pay, and you will be sent reminders each year to renew your registration.

  • When registering a new food business, we recommend that you submit your plans and requirements to us, along with the details of the type of business you wish to operate.

    The plans submitted should include:

    • a layout of the proposed business - see an example of plans and elevations
    • dimensions and details of fixtures and fittings, including location and elevation
    • details of the materials to be used on surfaces and finishes
  • To register your business online:

    1. Select the class of food related business from the list 'Environmental Health Licences'.
    2. As part of the online registration process, upload digital files and pay the fee by Visa or MasterCard.

    Submit a registration application online

    If you need help submitting your application, consult our online lodgement guide or contact us.

  • You will receive an automated email confirmation when we receive your application.

    Your application will be allocated an application number and assigned to an environmental health officer, who will begin the assessment process. You'll be notified of the application number and the officer's name and contact details.

    When we have assessed your application and inspected your premises, we will let you know if your registration has been granted, granted with conditions, or refused.

  • There is a fixed registration period that runs from 1 January to 31 December each year. The annual registration fee is set by us.

    We send an annual renewal notice to all registered health-related businesses. You can pay the renewal fee online by Visa or MasterCard.

Food business classifications

When you register a food business with us, your business will be given a class number. There are 4 classes. These classes are set out in the Food Act 1984, which controls the sale of food in Victoria. All food businesses must follow the Food Act. Each different class has different food safety requirements to make sure they are meeting food standards.

You can also refer to the Department of Health's food business classifications list.

If you change the type of food that you handle, this may change the class of your food business. Changing the class of your business may require you to pay a fee, change your food safety program, and possibly update the qualifications held by your food safety supervisor. 

Class 1

Class 1 food premises have the highest food safety risks. These premises predominantly handle potentially hazardous food that is served to vulnerable people in:

  • hospitals
  • child care centres providing long day care
  • aged care facilities, such as nursing homes.

These businesses must:

  • have a tailored food safety program appropriate to their food business activities
  • have a food safety supervisor at all times
  • register a new premises

The Department of Health has further information about food safety programs for class 1 food premises.

Class 2

Class 2 food premises handle unpackaged, potentially hazardous foods that need correct temperature control during the food handling process - including cooking and storage - to keep them safe. Class 2 premises include:

  • restaurants
  • fast food outlets
  • pubs
  • caterers
  • delicatessens
  • supermarkets with delicatessens
  • cafes
  • food vending machines handling high risk foods
  • most manufacturers.

These businesses must have:

  • a food safety supervisor
  • a tailored food safety program appropriate to their food business activities, which can be:

Class 3

These food businesses are businesses whose main activities involve the sale of foods not commonly associated with food poisoning.

Premises expected to fall into class 3 include:

  • fruit stalls selling cut fruit
  • wholesalers distributing pre-packaged foods
  • most milk bars, convenience stores and coffee bars
  • food vending machines handling lower risk foods.

These businesses need to have completed basic records about certain food safety practices onsite, including details about suppliers and potentially hazardous food.

Class 4

Class 4 food premises have a very low risk to public health, such as:

  • premises that sell shelf-stable prepackaged confectionery, such as newsagents, pharmacies, video stores and bottle shops
  • premises that sell uncut fruit and vegetables, such as farmers markets and greengrocers
  • premises offering wine tastings
  • shops and stalls selling packaged cakes (excluding cream cakes), bottled jams and honey
  • sessional kindergartens serving low risk food and cut fruit
  • stalls at community fundraising events operating simple sausage sizzles, where the sausages are cooked and served immediately. This means sausages, sauce, onions and bread, not hamburgers, egg and bacon rolls, or other high risk foods.

These businesses need to have completed basic records about certain food safety practices onsite, including details about suppliers and potentially hazardous food.

Food safety programs and food safety supervisors

  • A food safety program is a plan that shows what a business does to make sure the food it sells is safe for humans to eat.

    Food safety programs are an important tool for helping businesses that handle, process or sell potentially hazardous foods ensure they protect people's health and have safe food-handling practices.

    For more information, visit the Victorian Department of Health food safety programs.

  • The role of a food safety supervisor is to oversee a business's food handling and ensure it is done safely.

    A food safety supervisor must:

    • know how to recognise, prevent and reduce risks and dangers related to food handling
    • have a Statement of Attainment from a registered training organisation, and
    • be able to supervise other people at the business handling food and make sure it is done safely.

    The food safety supervisor may be the proprietor or an employee of the food business.

    Depending on what class your food business is in, you will need to complete a set number of training units to become a food safety supervisor. Find out more about food safety training and accreditation through the Victorian Department of Health.

Resources regarding venues for food businesses

Temporary and mobile food premises

Temporary food premises are stalls, tents, or any other structure that are not in place permanently. Examples of temporary food premises include:

  • stalls at markets or festivals
  • sausage sizzles
  • private drinking water carts
  • food vending machines.

Mobile food premises are vehicles such as vans, trailers, or carts from which food is sold. Examples of mobile food premises include:

  • food trucks
  • ice-cream vans.

Both temporary and mobile food businesses are subject to regulations and must meet food safety standards. If your food business operates from a fixed location for more than 3 consecutive days and nights before moving locations, you will need to have permanent water and wastewater connections.

If you are running a fundraising event that involves selling food (for example, stalls at fetes or fairs), you must meet the same regulations and food safety standards as temporary or mobile food premises.

We are currently developing Footpath Trading Guidelines and Mobile Food Vendor guidelines.

In Victoria, you can register your temporary or mobile food business online through the Streatrader website.

  • You can submit an application to register a temporary or mobile food premises using Streatrader. Once the application has been lodged, one of our Environmental Health Officers will be in contact to discuss the application.

    We only accept applications for mobile or temporary food premises through Streatrader. Other applications (for fixed food premises, like restaurants and cafes) can be completed online.

    Other resources:

  • If you want to have your mobile or temporary food premises on the side of the road, you will need a roadside trading permit. You can only apply for this permit once you have registered your business.

    You are not allowed to set up your roadside premise wherever you wish; we have specific locations for roadside trading that have been pre-assessed and approved. To trade at other sites, you will need to seek approval.

    Roadside trading permit fees for 2020-21
    • $2,575.00 per van (non-refundable annual permit), or
    • $257.50 for a single-use permit to conduct roadside trading.
  • Complete the roadside trading permit application form

    Submit the completed application form and any required information: 

    • by mailing it to Moreland City Council, Locked Bag 10, Moreland, VIC 3058
    • in person at Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg, or
    • by email to

    Your application will be assessed by the Local Laws team and, if approved, we will send you an invoice.

    You can pay your roadside trading permit invoice online.

Meat, fish or dairy primary industry business registration

Some primary industry businesses need to be registered with other authorities. Butchers, fishmongers, and meat and poultry processing facilities need to register with PrimeSafe.

Dairy processors, transporters, manufacturers and distributors need to register with Dairy Food Safety Victoria.

Primary producers engaged in agricultural, horticultural, viticultural or related pursuits should contact Agriculture Victoria for further advice. This includes businesses growing micro herbs, mushrooms and sprouts.

Fees for food business registration and renewal

When you register or renew a food business you will need to pay a fee. You will pay less when you renew your annual registration after your first year.

With your registration fee, you will get:

  • assessments of your plans by Environmental Health Officers
  • 2 progress inspections
  • a final inspection and certificate
  • an inspection within 3 months of opening to ensure everything meets rules and regulations

All fees include GST and must be paid at the time you submit a request for registration.

If you are a charity or community group you can get a discount of 25% off the registration fee.

Registration Fees

  • Food Class 1 - $1379.15
  • Food Class 2 - $1379.15
  • Food Class 3 - $1220.05
  • Food Class 4 - No fee
  • More than 5 Full time employees - $18.70 for each additional employee
  • Food Truck/Stall associated with a fixed premises in Moreland - $201.55 for each truck/stall (usually registered in streatrader)
  • Temporary registration (up to one month registered through streatrader) - $53.05

Renewal Fees

  • Food Class 1 - $679.00
  • Food Class 2 - $705.50
  • Food Class 3 - $525.15
  • Food Class 4 - No fee
  • More than 5 Full time employees - $18.70 for each additional employee
  • Food Truck/Stall associated with a fixed premises in Moreland - $201.55 for each truck/stall

Transfer Fees

All food businesses - $346.70

Prepurchase Inspection

All food businesses - $457.80

Change of Class

Food businesses that change to a higher classification (eg. Class 3 to Class 2) - $206.00

Pay your renewal fees

You can pay your renewal fees (excluding temporary or mobile food premises fees and new food business fees)

  1. Pay a renewal fee online by Visa or MasterCard.
  2. You need the 'Application number' located on your invoice or renewal notice.

You can register as a user and sign in to Council Online Services to access My Accounts. As a registered user, you can keep track of requests and applications on any device and don't need to re-enter your personal information.

Pay your renewal fees online

    1. Pay your renewal fee with a Visa or MasterCard over the phone 24 hours a day using Council's secure automated system.
    2. Phone 9240 1111 and press 1 to make a payment. Then press 7 to pay 'licencing tax invoices' and follow the voice prompts.
    3. You need to provide the ‘Application number' located on your invoice or renewal notice and your Visa or MasterCard details.
    1. Separate the payment slip at the bottom of your invoice or renewal notice and mail it with your cheque or money order to Moreland City Council, Locked Bag 10, Moreland 3058, before the due date.
    2. Make the cheque or money order payable to ‘Moreland City Council’ and cross it 'Not negotiable'. Do not include cash in the mail.

    Council does not provide a receipt for payments received by mail. Keep the top section of the notice for your records.

    1. Bring your notice to a Council Customer Service Centre before the due date.
    2. You can pay by Visa or MasterCard, EFTPOS, cheque, money order and cash. The minimum payment for all card transactions is $10 and there is no cash out facility.

Food complaints, recalls, and food safety inspections

Sometimes, members of the community may submit a complaint about the food or food safety practices at a business. Other times, a type of food may need to be removed from the community. Find out more about these situations, and our food safety inspections, on our public health and safety page.