Meeting dates and locations
About Council meetings
Council holds Ordinary Meetings and, when required, Special Meetings to conduct the business of Council.
Councillors represent the local community in making central decisions at Council meetings. The Mayor is the chair of those meetings.
The Chief Executive Officer and members of the Executive Team also attend Council meetings, to provide information or advice when called on by Councillors.
Council is committed to transparency in decision making and, in accordance with the Local Government Act 2020, Council and Delegated Committee Meetings are open to the public and the community are able to attend.
The Governance Rules outlines the procedures governing Council meetings.
Council decision making will be founded on good governance and conducted with transparency. The process by which decisions will be made is transparent and clearly articulated in these Governance Rules for the scrutiny of our community and accountability of Councillors and Council officers. Council recognises that accountability, integrity and transparency are of fundamental importance to our community and are critical for enhancing good governance.
Public question time
Council meetings provide citizens with an opportunity to ask questions of Councillors and to raise issues for Council to consider in its decision-making process.
COVID-19 update- Public Question Time during the State of Emergency
During the State of Emergency, Public Question Time at Council Meetings will not take place; and instead a Community Question Time will be introduced as follows for Council meetings:
1. Community questions must be submitted online before 5 pm of the day of the Council meeting.
2. All questions submitted will be circulated to Councillors and receive a written response and be included as an attachment in the Governance report of the following Council meeting.
3. At the discretion of the Mayor, a maximum of three community questions submitted online before 5 pm may be read out by the Mayor and answered at the Council meeting, to take place during the 'welcome’ item in the Order of Business.
Submit a question
Upcoming Council meetings
Council meetings are held in the Council Chamber, Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg, 7 pm on the second Wednesday of each month, unless otherwise stated below. During the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings will be held via video conferencing and are available to the public via Council's live streaming website and Facebook page.
Additional Council meetings are held for specific reasons, such as considering budget submissions. These meetings generally commence at 6 pm and are held in the Council Chamber, Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg.
The agenda for the upcoming Council meeting is available online.
2020 Council meeting dates
- 4 February (Special Meeting)
- 12 February
- 11 March
- 25 March (Special Meeting)
- 8 April (cancelled due to COVID-19)
- 13 May
- 10 June
- 8 July
- 12 August
- 9 September
- 21 September (Special Meeting)
- 28 September (Special Meeting)
- 14 October
- 17 November (Special Meeting to swear in Councillors elect)
- 20 November (Special Meeting to elect the Mayor and Deputy Mayor)
- 9 December
Council live streams video of most Council meetings. Visit live streaming to watch the next Council meeting live online and watch recordings of previous meetings
Following the meeting, minutes of the Council meeting are placed on the website.