Complaints about Council services

Moreland City Council is committed to responding promptly to issues that are of concern to you.

You can download the Council Customer Service Charter (PDF 36Mb) or visit Customer Service Charter.

Our service commitment to you

Moreland City Council is committed to providing quality services to the community. In providing these services, we will:

  • be open, honest and treat you with respect
  • provide you with prompt, accurate and courteous service
  • treat you with dignity, equality and fairness
  • do what we say we will do
  • ask you what you think and listen to your response
  • constantly improve our services, and
  • keep you informed and deal with complaints promptly and efficiently.

Complaints about Council services

You can make complaints to Council about services provided by Moreland City Council or its contractors where:

  • Council has failed to action a request within the acceptable response time
  • the service experience provided by the council officer or contractor has been unsatisfactory
  • the Council service is being delivered in an unsatisfactory manner
  • the communication process regarding the complaint has been unsatisfactory, or
  • any other matter where a citizen feels that he/she has not been treated in accordance with our service commitments.

How to make a complaint to Council

You can make a complaint to Council in writing by:

General process for complaints handling at Moreland City Council

Generally the manager of the relevant service area coordinates the response to complaints.

When you make a complaint to Council, you will be kept informed of the process and timelines. Please include your preferred contact method for being kept updated within your complaint.

If your complaint cannot be satisfactorily resolved within 10 working days, you will be advised in writing that the matter is still under investigation and will be resolved within 14 or 28 days depending on the complexity of the issue.

If you consider that the complaint has not been satisfactorily resolved, you have the right of appeal at a higher level within the Council organisation. This may be to the Chief Executive Officer.

If you are not satisfied with the way complaints are resolved after internal processes have been exhausted, you may elect to pursue matters with the Victorian State Ombudsman. Where there are external appeal mechanisms available, for example for Town Planning complaints, these can be referred to VCAT.

Victorian Ombudsman
Level 9, North Tower
459 Collins Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000

Telephone: 9613 6222
Toll Free: 1800 806 314
Facsimile: 9614 0246
Email Victorian Ombudsman
Victorian Ombudsman website