Chain of Ponds - Moonee Ponds Creek Plan
Future vision of the Moonee Ponds Creek
Imagine the Moonee Ponds Creek, not as a barren concrete drain, but as a natural waterway running through lush green parkland.
Moreland and Moonee Valley Councils have jointly developed and endorsed the Chain of Ponds, an action plan for the Moonee Ponds Creek.
This plan reimagines the Moonee Ponds Creek as a healthy, vibrant destination which supports native plants and animals, provides green space for leisure and recreation, and helps prevent flooding.
Work has already started on implementing this Plan:
- Recreational access and activation of the creek: Moreland Road to Hopetoun Avenue, Brunswick West
- Naturalisation, feasibility study and business case, Margaret Street to Herbert Street, Oak Park
- Revegetation, access and drainage improvements, JP Fawkner, Oak Park
- Access improvements at Bass Street, Pascoe Vale
- Revegetation works at Kernan Street, Pascoe Vale
- Access improvements, Esslement Reserve, Pascoe Vale
- Revegetation at Holbrook Reserve, Brunswick West
- Revegetation at Union Street Escarpment, Brunswick West
Get involved - Chain of Ponds Collaboration
In October 2018, fifteen organisations signed a Memorandum of Understanding committing to the ‘Chain of Ponds Collaboration’, an historic new agreement that will help transform Moonee Ponds Creek.
The collaboration includes representatives from local and state government, community groups, not-for-profits, water authorities and research organisations — all with a strong interest in improving the Moonee Ponds Creek.
For more information, visit the Chain of Ponds Collaboration website or if you would like to participate in the Chain of Ponds Collaboration, then please contact the Project Lead by email or join our next meeting.
View the Plan
Download the Chain of Ponds - Moonee Ponds Creek Plan.
Executive Summary (PDF 1Mb)
A. Introduction (PDF 3Mb)
B. Chronology (PDF 2Mb)
C. Creek Stories (PDF 288Kb)
D. The Creek Today (PDF 49Mb)
E. Water Investigations (PDF 8Mb)
F. Linear Park (PDF 17Mb)
G. Base Plans (PDF 30Mb)
H. Implementation Plan (PDF 1Mb (PDF 1Mb))
I. Appendices & Credits (PDF 1Mb)
If you require further information, email the Open Space team or contact Council on 9240 1111.