Balfe Park, Brunswick East - Play space upgrade
Council will be upgrading Balfe Park playspace and open space areas as part of the playspace renewal under Moreland City Council's Moreland Play Strategy 2016-20 (PDF 2Mb).
Balfe Park is a medium-sized reserve located at 54 John Street, Brunswick East, comprising of a playspace, open space lawn with trees, public toilet and sports field/club rooms. This proposed upgrade focuses on the playspace and the parkland adjacent to John Street.
Final Concept Plan
In July 2020, residents were invited to review the draft concept plan for the playspace and open space areas and
provide responses. This feedback session closed on Wednesday 15 July 2020 with over 72 responses received. View the Balfe Park consultation summary report (PDF 138Kb).
Using the feedback received where possible, the Open Space team have prepared a revised final concept plan. Some of the key features incorporated in this revised plan are:
- Modifying the playspace's proposed medieval theme to a more neutral theme (e.g. combination unit now resembles a tree house rather than a castle, the viking rope swing replaced with a double swing)
- The playspace pebble moat has been replaced with a sand moat and horse rockers replaced with smaller rockers suitable for younger children
- A platform seat has been added near the playspace which supports multiple users
- Additional shade trees have been added near the playspace and more native/indigenous planting incorporated in the open space areas
- Two additional fitness equipment items for upper body strength have been added to the proposed exercise area. Outdoor fitness equipment is still outside of scope of works, funding opportunities being explored.
- The new drinking fountain has been repositioned closer to the BBQ area.
You can view the revised concept plans here:
Contact Moreland City Council on 9240 1111 or email Council's Open Space team.