Draft Waste and Litter Strategy
Moreland City Council prepares a Waste and Litter Strategy every five years, setting the strategic direction for Council's delivery of waste and street cleansing services within Moreland along with an action plan for delivery.
The Draft Waste and Litter Strategy 2018-22 (PDF 1Mb) supports Council's ambitious goal of sending zero waste to landfill across the municipality by 2030. The action plan sets out a range of programs and activities to enable Council to pursue innovation, reduce waste and increase recycling.
The strategic vision incorporates resource sustainability and the importance of moving away from the linear pathway where materials are extracted, manufactured, used then permanently disposed of.
Key areas for action
The draft strategy focuses on the following key areas for action to divert waste from landfill and increase resource recovery:
- Trial a kerbside food waste collection via green waste bins to reduce waste to landfill and GHG emissions
- Increase promotion of at-home composting
- Reduce contamination in household recycling bins
- Reduce resources lost to landfill via the household garbage bins
- Provide incentives for the use of cloth nappies to reduce the volume of disposable nappies sent to landfill
- Increase opportunities for residents to divert waste from landfill via pop up recycling drop off points
- Work with traders to improve litter and dumped rubbish hot spots
- Implement behaviour change programs targeting waste avoidance, recycling, and rubbish dumping
- Trial voting bins for cigarette butts and reverse vending machines for beverage containers
- Advocate to government and industry on a range of issues including the introduction of a container deposit scheme, improving packaging design for recyclability, extended product stewardship programs and transitioning towards a circular economy, and
- Continue to eliminate single use plastics from council festivals and events.
We asked for feedback on the Draft Waste and Litter Strategy 2018-22 (PDF 1Mb) to ensure that all the key issues are covered and to refine the strategy and action plan before final adoption later this year.
Feedback closed on Friday 14 September 2018.
For further information, please call Council on 9240 1111 or email Waste and Litter Strategy Review.