Current COVID-19 restrictions

Information last updated: 14 August, 2:00pm

The Victorian Government has announced that from 11:59pm on 13 September 2020 stage 4 restrictions will change. The previously established restrictions introduced on 22 July around face coverings are still in place (see below).

These changes are being introduced to reduce the number of people leaving their homes and moving around Victoria.

The curfew across Metropolitan Melbourne will continue, but it will be eased to 9pm to 5am every evening. During the curfew period people are only allowed to leave their home for work (with a permit), and to give care or receive care.


On this page:


What are the current restrictions?

From 5am – 9pm, you can only leave your home for one of the following 4 reasons:

  • To collect necessary goods and services
    • You must stay within 5km of your home for this unless the nearest provider of such goods/services is beyond the 5km limit.
    • Only one person per household can leave home to get necessary goods and services and only once a day.


  • Outdoor exercise and recreation

    Exercise and recreation

    • You must not travel more than 5km from where you live to exercise.
    • You can exercise outdoors for up to two hours per day total, split into a maximum of two sessions. You can exercise with one other person, or members of your household.
    • If you are a parent or guardian who is caring for a young child or someone who cannot be left unattended then they may accompany you.
    • All sport and recreation facilities closed
    • Outdoor playgrounds reopened

    Public gatherings

    • Up to 5 people from a maximum of two households can meet outdoors for social interaction, exercise or recreation (infants under 12 months of age are not included in the cap) for a maximum of 2 hours and within 5 km of their home.


  • To provide or get care and health care
    • You can leave home to receive health care or attend medical appointments. If you need to see a doctor or health care professional, you should do so. Do not put off getting medical care. Your doctor or health care professional can provide advice on how to stay safe.
    • You can leave home to care for a sick or elderly relative. If you are providing care for someone you should try to keep 1.5 metres between you when you can. Wear a face covering.
    • You can leave home to accompany someone for essential medical treatment if you are a parent, guardian or necessary support person.
    • You can take a pet to the vet.
    • Professional respite care for people with complex needs is allowed.


  • For work
    • If you can work from home, you must continue to work from home.
    • Only go to work on-site if you are in a permitted industry and you have a permit from your employer.
    • Study at TAFE and university must be done remotely.



Personal arrangements

When it comes to personal arrangements the following applies:

  • You can still visit an intimate partner.
  • Shared parenting arrangements, both formal and informal, can continue for children.
  • You can leave home if there is an emergency.
  • You can leave home if there is family violence, or violence by another person in the home, and you are at risk. If you are stopped by police, tell them you are feeling unsafe at home and they will help you. Safe accommodation and support for family violence is available. Call safe steps on 1800 015 188 or email for help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you do need to leave home, you should wash your hands before you leave and when you return home. Keep at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others. Always wear a face covering, unless you have a lawful exception.

Never, ever go out if you are unwell, unless it is to get tested and then you must go straight home.

Single Social Bubble restriction

  • People living alone or single parents can now nominate one person with whom they can form a ‘single social bubble’. A bubble allows you to visit each other for social interaction. Single parents with dependents who cannot be left alone will be allowed to include their dependents in the bubble. If you live in metropolitan Melbourne you can only form a bubble with someone in metropolitan Melbourne, not regional Victoria.
  • If the person you nominate to be in your bubble lives with other people, you can only visit if they are at home alone. Alternatively, they can visit you at home.


Mandatory face coverings

The following restrictions, introduced 22 July, around face coverings are still in place:

  • When leaving home for one of the 4 reasons, people 12 years and older must wear a face covering, unless an exemption applies.
  • If you are in the car alone or with someone from your household, you do not need to wear a face covering. You should put your face covering on before you leave your car.
  • If you are doing strenuous physical exercise you do not need to wear a face covering but you must carry one with you. Strenuous exercise includes activities like jogging, running or cycling but not walking.
  • People who live in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire must not attend a wedding outside these areas, unless they are working as the celebrant. The celebrant must wear a mask.
  • People who live in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire cannot hold a wedding outside these areas, even if a booking has already been made.

Business support and information

Businesses can find more information, advice and support by visiting our Business Moreland website.

The Victorian Government has announced that, as part of Victoria’s roadmap to a COVID Normal the following businesses may be able to re-open as early as 26 October 2020:

  • Hairdressers
  • Beauty Therapy - facials, tanning etc.
  • Waxing
  • Nail Salons
  • Skin Penetration - tattoo, piercing, microblading etc.

Beauty and health businesses can read more about the roadmap to re-opening including a checklist of helpful resources (PDF 385Kb) prepared by our Environmental Health Unit. 

More information about restrictions

For more information, visit the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) web page on current restrictions.

To see the next steps the Victoria Government has laid out for a road back to COVID Normal, see the Victorian Government's Coronavirus (COVID-19) Roadmap to Reopening.

For translations of the current restrictions, visit the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) web page on translated resources.