Fast track applications
Straight forward proposals may qualify as ‘Fast Track’ planning permit applications.
There are two types of Fast Track processes:
- State Government ‘VicSmart’ applications
- Moreland City Council Fast Track applications.
These applications are generally processed within 10 days and are not required to be advertised to neighbours.
In addition, Council has a Commercial Priority process for new or existing businesses. These applications may need to be advertised but are generally processed faster than standard planning applications.
State Government VicSmart applications
Only some applications are eligible to be processed as VicSmart.
Refer to the checklists for the classes which qualify for VicSmart. Each class has specified requirements for information, assessment processes and decision guidelines.
If your VicSmart application does not contain all the required information, Council will request this information. In this case, a decision will likely take longer than 10 days.
- Checklist 1: Realign a boundary between two lots
- Checklist 2: Subdivide land into lots each containing an existing building or car parking space
- Checklist 3: Subdivide land with an approved development into two lots
- Checklist 4: Construct a front fence in a residential zone
- Checklist 5: Construct a building or works in a commercial or industrial zone, Capital City Zone, Docklands Zone or Mixed Use Zone
- Checklist 6: Construct a fence in an overlay
- Checklist 7: Remove, destroy or lop one tree
- Checklist 8: Minor subdivision, minor buildings and works, painting or tree lopping in a Heritage Overlay
- Checklist 9: Minor subdivision or buildings and works within a Special Building Overlay
- Checklist 10: Display a sign in a commercial or industrial zone, Capital City Zone or Docklands Zone
- Checklist 11: Reduce a car parking requirement
- Checklist 12: Reduce or waive loading/unloading requirements
If your application relates to subdivision (checklist 1, 2, 3, 8 or 9), see subdivisions for how to lodge this application.
For all other VicSmart classes, you need to submit a planning permit application to Council. You can submit the VicSmart application and pay the fee online. You need to upload a completed checklist as part of the application.
For step-by-step instructions on how to apply for a planning permit and what information you need to submit with the application, see planning process.
For further information on the VicSmart process and classes, see the State Government VicSmart website.
Moreland City Council Fast Track applications
There are some types of minor proposals that do not qualify for VicSmart. Council has developed its own local Fast Track process for these proposals.
A proposal will qualify for Moreland City Council’s 10 day Fast Track process if it:
- Is not a VicSmart application (see above)
- Contains all the required information at lodgement
- Does not require referral to an external authority or internal department
- Does not require advertising to neighbours, and
- Is a supportable proposal.
To find out if your application is eligible for Moreland’s Fast Track, contact Council Urban Planning on 9240 1111.
Commercial Priority Business Applications
See Commercial for information on the process for Commercial Priority Business Applications for new or expanding businesses applying for a planning permit.