Stormwater drains and sewerage

How to report a stormwater or sewerage issue

Contact Council to report a blocked, broken or flooded Council stormwater drain.

Contact Yarra Valley Water on 13 2762 to report a sewerage system fault or burst water main.

Drains and pipes that collect water on private property are the responsibility of the property owner.

Stormwater drainage network

Stormwater is the rainwater that runs off roofs, roads, footpaths and other surfaces. This water flows into a stormwater drain, which then flows into creeks, rivers and other water catchments, and eventually ends up in the ocean.

The stormwater drainage network in Moreland is a combination of drains, pits, pipes, open channels and natural waterways.

This network is a significant investment by Council. The ongoing development, management and maintenance of this network is outlined in the Moreland Drainage Asset Management Strategy (PDF 1Mb) or Moreland Drainage Asset Management Strategy (DOC 1Mb).

Council also has stormwater quality targets and sustainable water management programs to protect our waterways.

Stormwater drains

Stormwater drains can be owned by individual property owners, Council or Melbourne Water. 

Each person or organisation is responsible for looking after and cleaning their own drains.

Council is responsible for maintaining and cleaning kerb and channel drains, drainage pipes and pits in the street and most (but not all) drains in drainage easements.

Council drains flow either to a creek or a large diameter main drain. Melbourne Water maintains these larger diameter main drains and is also responsible for rivers and creeks.

Drains and pipes on private property

Drains and pipes that collect water on private property belong to the property owner.

Owners are responsible for their drains up to the point of connection to:

  • the Council drain or kerb and channel, known as the legal point of discharge. This includes pipes that run under the footpath or nature strip.
  • a drainage easement that runs through the property.

Sometimes private drains run through other properties - either along a formal drainage easement or an implied easement. 

Council requires developers to install on-site water detention systems on new private buildings. These systems temporarily hold the water and release it slowly into the drainage system so as not to cause flooding downstream. These systems are owned by and the responsibility of the property owner.

Council looks after and cleans its own stormwater drains, but not private drains.

Sewerage system

All wastewater leaving the inside of a building, including hand basins, sinks, showers, baths, laundry and toilets, flows into a sewerage pipe. 

This wastewater flows to the Western Treatment Plant in Werribee. This plant processes around half of Melbourne's sewage and produces almost 40 billion litres of recycled water a year.

The sewerage pipes outside your property belong to and are maintained by Yarra Valley Water