Watch the Welcome to Moreland video
A video showcasing people and places of Moreland, including musicians, cafes, sportspeople, business and community leaders.
This video has captions you can turn on and off using the video controls.
Welcome kit for new residents
Council welcomes you to Moreland. As a new resident, you join a diverse, active community of around 142,000 people who have made Moreland home.
You can get a Welcome Kit from a Council Customer Service Centre. We have also developed an online checklist for new residents and links to some of the Council information new residents often need when moving into an area.
Checklist for new residents
Once you've moved to Moreland, you should:
Enrol to vote in Council elections with the Victorian Electoral Commission.
If you have a pet, register your pet. Tell your old Council you've moved so they can update their animal database.
If you have a child up to six years old, call Council to register your child with the Maternal and Child Health Service. Your child is eligible for free and local health check ups.
If you have a car and on-street parking, apply for a residential parking permit.
Like us on Facebook - more than 10,000 people already do!
Living in Moreland
Services near you
Search In my area to find Council and community services and centres near you, including libraries, arts venues, parks, pools, schools, kindergartens and child care centres.
Rubbish, recycling and green waste collection
- Council collects garbage bins and recycling bins every week on the same day.
- Council collects garden waste every two weeks.
- Find your bin collection day and print your calendar.
Hard waste and other rubbish
- Council collects hard waste once a year in February and March.
- It is illegal to leave rubbish on the footpath at all other times. You can be fined and charged.
- Take large or toxic rubbish to a recycle centre or landfill.
New bins, compost bins, mulch and worm farms
- Order a new or bigger rubbish, recycling or green waste bin .
- Order a cheap compost bin from Council.
- Ring our Operations Centre in Hadfield on 8311 4300 to see if free mulch is available for pickup.
- Buy a worm farm and worms from CERES Environment Park.
Parking, bike paths and transport
- Apply for a residential parking permit.
- Locations of parking spaces for people with a disability.
- Buses, trains and trams that service Moreland.
Exercise, sport and recreation
Gyms, group fitness classes and health programs
- The Moreland Online Community Directory lists local sports clubs.
- Search the Council Active Moreland website for sports clubs and activities.
Brunswick Baths: heated 23 m indoor pool and heated 50 m outdoor pools, learners pools.
Coburg Leisure Centre: heated 25 m indoor pool, learners pool and water features.
Coburg Olympic Pool: unheated 50 m olympic pool and learners pool.
Fawkner Leisure Centre: heated 25 m indoor pool and heated 50 m outdoor pool, learners pool.
Oak Park Aquatic Centre: waterslide and outdoor pools.
Pascoe Vale Outdoor Pool: heated 33 m outdoor pool, a learners pool and a diving pool.
Parks, walking trails and bike paths
- Find a park near you with a playground, barbecue or other park and recreation facilities
- Walking trails and bike paths along Merri Creek or Moonee Ponds Creek.
Babies and children
Child care including a list of child care centres, before and after school care
Free Story Time and Rhyme Time reading and singing at Moreland libraries
Council primary school holiday program
School holiday program for teenagers
Moreland FReeZa Committee: be trained to organise live music events
Oxygen Committee: an opportunity to participate in the planning of facilities and services for local young people.
Free, confidential counselling for young people 11 - 25 years
Animals and pets: registration, permits, off-leash parks
- Tell your former Council that you've moved.
- Transferring pet registration is considered to be a new pet registration. This means that your pet must be microchipped and you must pay a registration fee.
- When you transfer your pet's registration from another Council, the pet registration fee will be calculated for the remaining registration period.
- Multiple pet permits
- Off-leash dog parks
Local shopping, libraries and other activities
- Discover local musicians and borrow their CDs
- Community groups in the Moreland Online Community Directory
- Do classes or volunteer at a local Neighbourhood House