Immunisation certificates and records

Immunisation records

All vaccinations for your baby or child up to 6 years of age are recorded in your My Health and Development Record (Child Health Record).

Council also maintains a database of all immunisations administered at Council sessions and sends records of infant immunisation (babies to 6 year olds) to the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register.

Children who are under 20 years of age and enrolled in Medicare are automatically included on the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register. Even if your child is not enrolled, they will be added to the Immunisation Register once Medicare receives their immunisation details from your immunisation provider.

What is an immunisation status certificate?

An immunisation status certificate is a current statement showing the vaccinations that your child has received.

The most common document to prove immunisation status for the purpose of enrolling at childcare or kindergarten is an Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register. This is the preferred immunisation status certificate to finalise enrolment.

Your Child Health Record is not an immunisation status certificate.

By law, your child must have an immunisation status certificate to start primary school or if you switch your child to a different primary school in Victoria.

You will also need an immunisation status certificate stating your child is up to date for their age to enrol them in kindergarten or childcare. If you have missed immunisations, catch up immunisations sessions are available.

If your child has not received any vaccinations, you must still provide a certificate.

This certificate assists health authorities to protect children in the event of a vaccine-preventable disease occurrence in a school. An unvaccinated child may be excluded from school until the risk of infection has passed.

How do I get an immunisation status certificate?

You will automatically receive an immunisation Child History Statement from the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register when your child is 18 months old and again at 5 years of age (after your child has received the 4-year-old vaccine), or you can request one at any time.

You use this Child History Statement as your immunisation status certificate.

If your child has completed all immunisations, but you have not received a statement, your statement is incomplete or you have changed address, you can contact the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809.

You can order a copy of your child's immunisation statement at any time by:

  • contacting the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809, or
  • making an online request on the Medicare website.

You can also check your child’s immunisation history at any time by using:

  • your Medicare online account through myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account, you can create one and then link it to your Medicare online account, or
  • the Express Plus Medicare mobile app. If you don’t have the app, you can download it to your mobile device.

Council is able to supply you with a history statement if your child has received their immunisations through us. This statement includes any catch up program or overseas immunisation you have advised us of. It will not reflect any vaccines given by other service providers within Australia.