Brunswick Mechanics Institute and Brunswick Town Hall forecourts
Council is undertaking the design for the Brunswick Mechanics Forecourt and Brunswick Town Hall Forecourt, as an action from the Brunswick Structure Plan.
The project aims to to enhance the civic and cultural focus of the precinct, and to improve the public realm of these civic buildings.
The draft concept plan for the space includes:
- An outdoor civic space with reclaimed bluestone and timber seating
- New timber decking
- Upgrades to forecourt paving
- Improved lighting
- Landscaping, including lawn and rain gardens to address the urban heat island effect
- Footpath upgrade including feature paving and new kerb and channel
- Additional seating near tram and bus stops (Brunswick Mechanics Institute Forecourt)
- Street furniture upgrade including drinking fountain and improved lighting.
Major stages of the project
Consultation closed on Friday 6 July 2018.
Consultation included a survey and virtual reality and information sessions. Participants were able to immerse in a virtual reality experience and see what the forecourts will look like.
Draft concept plan advertised for community consultation. The information collected from the survey and feedback from the information sessions will inform the development and further design of the plan.
Budget and timelines
Budget for design: $73,550
Timeline for design: September 2018
If you have any queries regarding the project, contact Council’s Senior Urban Designer, Hiren Bhatt on 9240 1234 or email Hiren Bhatt.