Human Rights Advisory Committee
Seeking expressions of interest to join the Human Rights Advisory Committee
The Human Rights Advisory Committee provides advice to Council to guide the implementation and monitoring of the Moreland Human Rights Policy 2016 – 2026.
The committee currently has 7 (seven) vacancies.
Purpose and scope
The Committee will focus primarily on the three goals of the policy which are to:
- Be an inclusive organisation
- Deliver inclusive and accessible services
- Promote inclusion and social cohesion in the community.
Councillor representatives are Cr Natalie Abboud. Selected representatives from up to 5 key organisations will be invited to join the committee.
Citizen membership of the committee will include up to 10 community members who live, work or study in Moreland, who have an interest in Human Rights and inclusion. Preference will be given to those who identify with one of more identified priority groups:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- People from multicultural communities, migrants, humanitarian entrants, asylum seekers and those of diverse faiths
- People living with a disability, family members or carers
- People who identify as gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender, intersex or queer
Members can nominate for a two or four year term on the Committee. Members must be able to provide relevant and up to date advice and represent their subject matter areas. No member can serve more than three consecutive terms (defined maximum of 6 years) on the committee.
How to apply
To apply to become a member of the committee please:
- Review the Terms of Reference (PDF 156Kb)
- Complete an Expression of Interest form (DOC 62Kb), addressing the selection criteria, which are:
- A description of your willingness to work in a positive manner with diverse stakeholder group to progress the strategic goals as identified in the Moreland Human Rights Policy.
- Whether you live, work or study within the City of Moreland.
- Whether you can identify with and represent one or more of the identified priority groups (see above).
Subject to review of the expression of interest, the Committee can endorse new members at any meeting (candidates can attend these meetings).
Please submit your expression of interest by Wednesday 28 March 2018.