Development of the 4-year Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan (MPHWP) 2017-21
Councils are required to develop a Municipal Health and Wellbeing Plan (MPHWP) within 12 months of an election.
The MPHWP must:
- Include an examination of data about health status and health determinants in the municipal district
- Identify goals and strategies based on available evidence for creating a local community in which people can achieve maximum health and wellbeing
- Provide for the involvement of people in the local community in its development, implementation and evaluation.
- Specify how the council will work in partnership with the department and relevant agencies accomplish the goals and strategies identified in the public health and well-being plan
- Be consistent with the Council Plan (s125 of the Local Government Act 1989) and Municipal Strategic Statement (MSS) (s12A of the Planning and Environment Act 1987)
The planning process so far
Planning for the MPHWP 2017-2021 commenced in October 2016 and has included:
A review of the previous MPHWP 2013-2017. View an update of the Health and Wellbeing Profile (PDF 1Mb) which informed the identification of population level health issues
- Extensive consultation with internal and external stakeholders who are involved in the implementation of the MPHWP and its partnership approach
- Seeking regular guidance from DHHS, the Inner North West Primary Care Partnership (INWPCP), Merri Health and relevant staff from neighbouring Councils
- Community consultation feedback from the Moreland Council Plan process
- Two workshops with stakeholders to increase their understanding of the concepts of health and wellbeing, and to review the identified priorities for the MPHWP 2017-2021.
The Draft Moreland Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan (MPHWP) 2017-21 (PDF 2Mb) was endorsed at the Council meeting on Wednesday 12 July 2017. For further information, please see the 12 July MPHWP Council Report. (PDF 76Kb).
The framing of the Plan
The plan aims to deliver long term health outcomes for the community. The function of the MPHWP is to bring together all the work across Council that impacts on people’s physical health and mental wellbeing in a coordinated way. The Draft MPWHP 2017-21 is:
- A whole-of-council approach to health and wellbeing
- Aligned with the new Council Plan and the MSS
- Aligned with priorities of plans/strategies across Council departments and informed by its staff
- Aligned with the Victorian Public Health and Wellbeing Plan (VPHWP) 2015-19 on priorities that are relevant to the Moreland context and
- Informed by the Community Vision and priorities identified by the community
Have your say
Council would like individuals and organisations to provide feedback on this Draft Plan and submissions can be made via the online form below.
If you provide feedback your comments will be considered as part of the process of finalising the Plan.
The Plan will be out for public consultation for 28 days. Consultation closes on Wednesday 16 August 2017.
Submit feedback using our online form.
What will Council be doing next?
The information and feedback that is received will be incorporated into a revised version of the MPHWP 2017-21. This final version will be presented to Councillors for consideration in October 2017.
There are documents on this page in PDF-only format. If you have trouble opening or viewing a PDF document, contact Council and we will arrange to provide the information in a format that suits your needs. See Council's accessibility page for further details.