A resume or curriculum vitae provides a summary of your skills, employment history, experience, knowledge and abilities relevant to the position you are applying for.
In a resume it is important to demonstrate your achievements, what you have learned and the commitment level involved.
By describing your achievements, we will get a clearer picture of what you did to develop the skills and whether you have the qualities and experience we are looking for.
Your resume should include your:
- Address and contact details - phone number(s), email
- Employment history – start with your most recent job and work backwards, include all relevant work history, including volunteering and work experience
- Education and qualifications - a brief summary of your education and qualifications, including the name of the institution where you studied, the course title and the date completed. Also include any short training courses you have completed. Ensure you are able to produce documentary evidence of any formal qualifications required for the job.
- Demonstrated skills - this may include information about your ability to use relevant software programs - indicate if your skills are basic, intermediate or advanced.
- Special achievements - highlight any special achievements, such as community work, volunteering, prizes or awards
- Referees – contact details of at least two referees who can support your claims in relation to the position. Your referees could include a previous employer, manager or supervisor; a teacher or trainer; and a coordinator of voluntary work. Make sure your referees know they may be contacted and have details about the job you are applying for.
Online job skills advice
Council also offers free online job skills advice and tips through Moreland City Libraries' Your Tutor service.
This service offers live, one-to-one access to a specialist tutor who can give you personalised help with preparing resumes and applications, as well as job interview tips.
The Your Tutor service is available online from Monday to Friday from 3 pm - 10 pm.
This service is only available to members of Moreland City Libraries.
To access this service go to Studiosity and sign in using your Moreland City Libraries' card number (the number printed on your library card).
Remember to enter your number starting with a capital A and ending with a capital B with no spaces, for example: A2000301xxxxxxxB.